Trendspotting: Chalkboards


My new chalkboard.

You know that scene in Devil Wears Prada, where Meryl Streep (Miranda Priestly) goes on and on about "cerulean blue" and says to Anne Hathaway, "it's sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you're wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room."

I sort of feel like the Andy Sachs character when it comes to chalkboards. Honestly, I peeked my head into this incredibly outdated Office Supply store the other day and left with a giant green chalkboard. I felt innovative. After surfing the design blogs/shops for the last few days, I realize that in all reality, Factory 20 has been feeding my subconscious. They're lovin' the chalkboards. Alas, my purchase was not my own...

From Factory 20:

970s, USA, Great pair of Vintage chalkboards from the highly sought after Monumental Untitled Concepts Collection (MUCC. $885 (1 left in stock)


Jugendstil framed salvaged slate paneling. Thick flowing floral 2 ton heavy canvas ribbon framing bolted around the perimeter. Iron anchor bolting. $4800.



And this super cool chalkboard drawer idea on Remodelista. If you are regularly changing the contents of your drawers, this is a cool way to customize.


Also, from photographer Roland Bello...

1 comment:

JC Adams said...

I love this piece on chalk boards! (love all of them, actually). That pale green is my favourite colour - luckily, my husband's, too. There's a fabulous thing I've read on that colour, in China's history, I'll try to find it.
Funnily, The Devil Wear's Prada was on Film4 here in the UK last night - I was watching it and thinking how good it is. I'm really interested in how ideas - memes - move around.
Your blog is looking great, MK! : )
jCx